Teens 4 God
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book Reviews

3 posters

Go down

Book Reviews Empty Book Reviews

Post by Clareesa Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:49 pm

I thought it'd be nice to have a place where you can tell us about a book you read recently.
Do you recommend it?
Do you strongly think people should NOT read it?
Did it change how you think?

So, if you've read a book recently, please share it with us!
Clareesa
Clareesa
Admin

Female Number of posts : 961
Hobbies : Doing what God wants me to
Humor :
Nickname : Fred, Clari, Catch-light Clari, Reeces-Pieces, Kee-kee, Pretty Much Everything Else, Creesa, Punk(don't ask),
Favorite Scripture Verse? : Psalm 62:5, 'Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him.'
Registration date : 2008-06-16

http://wix.com/clarinoel/clarinoel

Back to top Go down

Book Reviews Empty Re: Book Reviews

Post by Clareesa Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:34 pm

Ohk, I shall be the first to post a review then...because apparently none of you read. (which I know isn't true) Wink
Some of you may already now, I really don't like reading, unless it's a REALLY good book.
And one book I read, I read it twice it was so good.
Blink by Tedd Dekker.
It's an amazing suspenseful book!
And in a round-about-way it proves God's existence and control over our lives.
I highly recommend it! Very Happy
Clareesa
Clareesa
Admin

Humor :
Nickname : Fred, Clari, Catch-light Clari, Reeces-Pieces, Kee-kee, Pretty Much Everything Else, Creesa, Punk(don't ask),
Favorite Scripture Verse? : Psalm 62:5, 'Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him.'

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonia J. Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:21 pm

Do they have to be Christian books?Question I've been reading a lot of books, but they aren't all christian...
What a Face
Sonia J.
Sonia J.

Female Number of posts : 705
Hobbies : Public speaking, archery, hanging out w/ friends, cooking, sleeptalking(lol), reading, Acting, and tons more!
Humor : Ahh! There's an ant on the floor! Everybody RUN!!!...Wait a sec, I'm not afraid of those. Never mind.
Nickname : Sony, Sonia Bear, others that I don't care to mention....
Favorite Scripture Verse? : At the moment Philippians 2:3 Smile
Registration date : 2008-07-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Hannah B. Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:36 pm

Yeah, I've read Blink, and right now I'm reading his...well, what I call his colored books. lol Black, red, white, and green. I'm on green, and so far I really like them!

Another series I really like is called the 100 Cupboards series. They're probably written more for preteens, but I like them anyway, and even my mom likes them. Even though he doesn't talk about God that much in them, the author is Christian. His name is N. D. Wilson.

My sister is glaring at me 'cause she wants the computer, so I don't have time to write more. lol
Hannah B.
Hannah B.

Female Number of posts : 144
Hobbies : writing, reading, homeschool, and art
Humor :
Nickname : HB, Hannah Banana, Nana, Meanest Sister in the World...
Status: : Mark of the Cults...sounds kinda like some horror movie from the 70's - no insult intended, Mr. Bywater

Favorite Scripture Verse? : Romans 5:8
Registration date : 2008-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonia J. Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:53 pm

I'm planning on ready blink and all the 'color' books.lol 100 cupboards is at the library waiting for me to pick up.What a Face
umm, I just finished reading Lilith by George Macdonald (I think)...it was pretty good, though the style of writing was kinda old and it was a little confusing. I enjoyed reading it! If ya like oldish Christian fiction/fantasy, try it out! I gave it 3.5 out of 5 stars!Cool
Sonia J.
Sonia J.

Hobbies : Public speaking, archery, hanging out w/ friends, cooking, sleeptalking(lol), reading, Acting, and tons more!
Humor : Ahh! There's an ant on the floor! Everybody RUN!!!...Wait a sec, I'm not afraid of those. Never mind.

Back to top Go down

Post by Clareesa Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:26 pm

Yeah go ahead and post non-christian books. Thats fine. Just make sure to write everything about them....you know what I mean Sonia!
Clareesa
Clareesa
Admin

Humor :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonia J. Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:55 pm

okay.lol
The Series 'Dragons in our midst' and 'oracles of fire' is a pretty good Christian Fantasy book series set thing, even though I'm pretty sure its written for 12 and under.Razz It is a little weird, I mean, the kids dad is a a guy that used to be a dragon and his mom is human.What a Face
It's a really good Christian series even if it is slightly different. Has tons of the Bible, no magic, and very strong Christians. It has people/dragons who have lived for a long time, like this one guy who was Noah's grandson who ate from a tree and lives for thousands of years...ect...Not as weird as it sounds, its hard to explain and I don't want to give it away!lol
Very good series! overall, I rated both of the series together 4 out of 5 stars!Cool

Sonia J.
Sonia J.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hannah B. Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:54 pm

Actually, "Dragons in our Midst" is written for teens. I mean, I read them for the first time at age 10, but then I was reading Jane Austen and Charles Dickens at 8... Anyway, kids that age can read them (they're absolutely, perfectly clean), but it will probably be over their heads. (Not to mention I only know a few kids under 12 who read four books with 350 pages or more each in a row.)(And then in the 2nd series, "Oracles of Fire," the books are more like 450 pages or more) So...it really depends on the kid, but I think more for teens.
Hannah B.
Hannah B.

Humor :
Status: : Mark of the Cults...sounds kinda like some horror movie from the 70's - no insult intended, Mr. Bywater

Back to top Go down

Post by Hannah B. Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:54 pm

BTW, in case you didn't know by now, I really like them too. Both series are written by Brian Davis.

Oh, and I really recommend this site for finding who wrote a book, and what other books they wrote, and thing like that.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/

It's not a Christian site, but it has had all the Christian authors I've ever looked up. (All except one, but she was like from the early 1900's and she only wrote one book.)
Hannah B.
Hannah B.

Humor :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonia J. Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:22 am

Hannah B. wrote:BTW, in case you didn't know by now, I really like them too. Both series are written by Brian Davis.

Sorry, forgot to say who it was by! Thanks, Hannah! ..the authors name is spelled Bryan Davis, BTW.lol

Goodreads.com is a really nice sight for people who really like reading (and those who don't Razz)
sooo, you can think about joining that!Smile
Sonia J.
Sonia J.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonia J. Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:26 am

Blessed Child by Bill Bright and Ted DekKer (?) is a pretty good book.
The first time I read it I loved it, and I started to read it again about a year later...and it was boring.lol
So, good book to read once (maybe twice)
It's about a little boy who has a special 'gift' from God...and people are trying to kidnap and kill him...ect
Very Happy go to fantasticfiction (it should be on there) and read the thingy that says whats its about
Sonia J.
Sonia J.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonia J. Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:06 pm

Okay, so I guess I'll post about a few more books!Smile
I think all of you on here know about 'The Chronicles of Narnia'...but just in case, thought I'd throw that one out. Great series!Smile
Also, a pretty good series that I have been reading is 'the king of the trees' by William D. Burt.
Its an allegory.Wink umm, no 'magic' or anything questionable that I can think of. (other than some things that Gaelathane (Aka: Jesus) gave the people that have 'powers')Very Happy 'King of the trees' does have lots of fantasy creatures..including some that go around killing people, and some that talk. What a Face They believe in God, but He has a different name and is slightly different...not in a bad sense and the author doesn't take away from the Bible as far as I can tell.Razz Sooo, if you have any more questions about the series, just ask me!Cool I would probably rate the series (so far) 4 out of 5 stars.Smile
Sonia J.
Sonia J.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum