Teens 4 God
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is Your Answer To This Statement?

5 posters

Go down

What is Your Answer To This Statement? Empty What is Your Answer To This Statement?

Post by Clareesa Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:18 pm

For apologetics there are a number of statements that we have to analyze and respond to.
One of the Statements is:
"The Old testament God is a God of hate and the new Testament God is a God of love."

How would you respond to this statement? Is it true or false?
Use scripture verses please! Very Happy

Last edited by Clareesa on Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Clareesa
Clareesa
Admin

Female Number of posts : 961
Hobbies : Doing what God wants me to
Humor :
Nickname : Fred, Clari, Catch-light Clari, Reeces-Pieces, Kee-kee, Pretty Much Everything Else, Creesa, Punk(don't ask),
Favorite Scripture Verse? : Psalm 62:5, 'Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him.'
Registration date : 2008-06-16

http://wix.com/clarinoel/clarinoel

Back to top Go down

What is Your Answer To This Statement? Empty Re: What is Your Answer To This Statement?

Post by Amy I. Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:45 pm

FALSE FALSE FALSE! Smile

By the way, are you sure the statement isn't backwards?

Here's how I would respond...

When you're a little kid and your your parents tell you, "NEVER CROSS THE STREET BY YOURSELF!" and you go and cross the street, they punish you, right? Do they punish you because they hate you? NO! They do it because they love you so much that they have to discipline you to keep you safe! Because they know, even though you don't, that if you cross the street on your own, you could get hit by a car.

More of this later...I don't have time to finish my argument...
Amy I.
Amy I.

Female Number of posts : 305
Hobbies : Basketball, Soccer, running, Violin, PYP, petting cats, kicking dogs, reading, writing, beating Sonia at arm-wrestling :)
Humor : German? I don't know that word. We don't use that word in America.
Nickname : Para-Amy (long story)
Favorite Scripture Verse? : Oh man, there are so many...
Registration date : 2008-06-17

Back to top Go down

What is Your Answer To This Statement? Empty Re: What is Your Answer To This Statement?

Post by Foster G Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:42 pm

I don't have my immutability speech now, but I can tell you that if the statement were true, it would contradict G-d's immutubility. (and that there are plenty of verses that state G-d's love in the Old Testament, as well as New.)

oh, yeah. and you have the statement backward.lol
Foster G
Foster G

Male Number of posts : 284
Hobbies : Piano, cats, music, homeschool, and reading
Humor : Borrow money from a pessimist - they don't expect it back!
Nickname : I don't need one, foster's different enough
Status: : still checking this site, but not posting much..lol
(sorry, I am still here...haha)
Favorite Scripture Verse? : Joshua 1:9 "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go"
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Clareesa Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:29 pm

Backwards? Oops... my bad. Very Happy I fixed it.
Clareesa
Clareesa
Admin

Humor :
Nickname : Fred, Clari, Catch-light Clari, Reeces-Pieces, Kee-kee, Pretty Much Everything Else, Creesa, Punk(don't ask),
Favorite Scripture Verse? : Psalm 62:5, 'Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him.'

Back to top Go down

Post by Amy I. Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:53 pm

I think people who believe this statement would NOT care in God's immutability...
Amy I.
Amy I.

Hobbies : Basketball, Soccer, running, Violin, PYP, petting cats, kicking dogs, reading, writing, beating Sonia at arm-wrestling :)

Back to top Go down

Post by Clareesa Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:29 pm

What if the person stating this were to ask you about...say... in the Old Testament when God flooded the earth? Isn't that hate?

(BTW...I'm asking this question in the view of the person who believes this statement...not MY personal beliefs. Wink )
Clareesa
Clareesa
Admin

Humor :

Back to top Go down

Post by Amy I. Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:02 pm

Don't worry, I figured that out Smile

Well... when someone get's shut in jail for life for committing murder, do people think the judge is hateful? God is a God of justice... and also mercy. He had been merciful to let people keep living for generations and generations, but by Noah's time, the people were so evil that God had to destroy them. That's justice. "For the wages of sin is death..."
Amy I.
Amy I.

Back to top Go down

Post by Anna G. Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:19 am

God is holy, so He couldn't just let sin go.....
Anna G.
Anna G.

Female Number of posts : 46
Hobbies : Computer, playing with my bird, emailing, school
Favorite Scripture Verse? : Isaiah 43:1-4a
Registration date : 2009-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Abigail G. Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:23 am

Amy I. wrote:Don't worry, I figured that out Smile

Well... when someone get's shut in jail for life for committing murder, do people think the judge is hateful? God is a God of justice... and also mercy. He had been merciful to let people keep living for generations and generations, but by Noah's time, the people were so evil that God had to destroy them. That's justice. "For the wages of sin is death..."

You said it! Smile
Abigail G.
Abigail G.

Female Number of posts : 468
Hobbies : E-mail, songwriting, guitar, making cards
Humor : Small sign I saw posted on a street light pole: 'MEET LOCAL SINGLES!!! Easy: stand near others, turn off your cell phone.'
Nickname : Abigaily, Person, Abicus
Favorite Scripture Verse? : Psalm 52:9 "I will thank you forever, for you have done it. I will wait for your name, for it is good, in the presence of the godly."
Registration date : 2008-07-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down