Teens 4 God
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Don't answer, answer

5 posters

Go down

Don't answer, answer Empty Don't answer, answer

Post by Abigail G. Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:28 pm

Not sure how many of you remember all those verses from Proverbs we had going a while back(I think it was for April Fool's day). And how we were puzzling about Proverbs 26:4-5 which says
"Answer not a fool according to his folly,
lest you be like him yourself.
Answer a fool according to his folly,
lest he be wise in his own eyes."

Remember how we couldn't get past the fact that these verses seem contradictory? Well, in a book I've been reading, it had an explanation for it! So I just thought I'd share w/ you what I learned. Razz

The first part "answer not a fool according to his folly" is telling us not to get caught up in the fool's way of arguing. You can't adapt to his methods and arguments, otherwise you'll be a fool too "lest you be like him yourself". The second part "answer a fool according to his folly" tells us we should not let his foolishness go unoticed, but confront him on it so he can see the folly of it "lest he be wise in his own eyes".

P.S. I found this explanation in The Ultimate Proof of Creation, by Dr. Jason Lisle.
Abigail G.
Abigail G.

Female Number of posts : 468
Hobbies : E-mail, songwriting, guitar, making cards
Humor : Small sign I saw posted on a street light pole: 'MEET LOCAL SINGLES!!! Easy: stand near others, turn off your cell phone.'
Nickname : Abigaily, Person, Abicus
Favorite Scripture Verse? : Psalm 52:9 "I will thank you forever, for you have done it. I will wait for your name, for it is good, in the presence of the godly."
Registration date : 2008-07-10

Back to top Go down

Don't answer, answer Empty Re: Don't answer, answer

Post by Anna P Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:54 am

That's really cool, I have been listening to speeches by Dr. Lisle lately, I really enjoy him.
Thanks for posting!
Anna P
Anna P

Female Number of posts : 160
Hobbies : Reading. Listening to music and doing laundry.
Humor : Studies clearly indicate that those who get 'Get Well' cards sooner and more often have a 80% faster recovery rate, so I want to wish you a Happy Birthday
Nickname : Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave
Favorite Scripture Verse? : At the moment, James 1:19-20 and Romans 5:8
Registration date : 2008-07-01

http://www.therebelution.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Clareesa Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:33 pm

Yup! Very Happy ...I've heard it that way before....
Clareesa
Clareesa
Admin

Female Number of posts : 961
Hobbies : Doing what God wants me to
Humor :
Nickname : Fred, Clari, Catch-light Clari, Reeces-Pieces, Kee-kee, Pretty Much Everything Else, Creesa, Punk(don't ask),
Favorite Scripture Verse? : Psalm 62:5, 'Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him.'
Registration date : 2008-06-16

http://wix.com/clarinoel/clarinoel

Back to top Go down

Post by Amy I. Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:58 pm

that's a good explanation. Thanks, Abigail!
Amy I.
Amy I.

Female Number of posts : 305
Hobbies : Basketball, Soccer, running, Violin, PYP, petting cats, kicking dogs, reading, writing, beating Sonia at arm-wrestling :)
Humor : German? I don't know that word. We don't use that word in America.
Nickname : Para-Amy (long story)
Favorite Scripture Verse? : Oh man, there are so many...
Registration date : 2008-06-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Frost Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:36 am

Thanks for sharing!
Cameron Frost
Cameron Frost

Female Number of posts : 13
Hobbies : Guitar,reading my bible,Basketball,hanging out with my family and friends,
Humor : You would not believe your eyes If ten million fireflies Lit up the world as I fell asleep
Nickname : Cammy,Cam,Frosty,freckle face,
Favorite Scripture Verse? : Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes.Ephesians 6:10-11
Registration date : 2009-12-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down